Wizard101 is a free-to-play fantasy MMORPG developed by KingsIsle Entertainment for PC and Mac where players take on the roll of a child wizard who has just enrolled in Wizard Academy. Its obvious Wizard101 draws its inspiration from the widely popular Harry potter franchise, but it manages to pull it off in style without feeling like a knock off. Anyone who plays this game will immediately notice how much higher the production values are compared to many Asian MMORPGs. Character creation and the tutorial have voice overs and everything from the interface to the terrain look well done.
Combat in Wizard101 is turn-based and has players draw cards from their deck of spells to select which to cast for their current turn. Depending on the chosen school of magic players can use their spells to deal damage to their enemies, inflict them with a variety of status effects, heal allies, summon creatures and more! As players gain experience and level up they will be able to explore new worlds. There are 12 worlds in total, but some can only be explored by making purchases with real money.
New players chose which magic type to specialize in by answering a series of questions with seven possible outcomes:
Fire – Fire spells tend to deal damage over time so while fire wizard don’t deal a lot of initial damage, their potential builds up the longer a fight lasts. They have the unique ability to stun their enemies.
Ice – Ice wizards have the highest health and defense ratings and many of their spells deal with increasing defense and damage absorption. Their ability to taunt enemies and force them to target the ice wizard makes them invaluable in group battles.
Storm – Focused on dealing heavy damage at the expensive of accuracy. Storm wizards have the lowest health totals but have the ability to remove buffs and debuffs.
Life – The supportive magic branch. Life wizards are the only ones who can heal other players and preform group heals. Their few offensive moves deal low damage but are highly accurate.
Myth – Myth wizards are the summoners of Wizard101. While they posses some offensive abilities, most of their spells deal with buffing and healing their minions who do the grunt work.
Death – A complicated branch of magic, death spells tend to deal lower damage but absorb health and heal the caster. Death wizards can also chain spells to build up powerful combos.
Balance – As the name suggests, Balance wizards are the jack of all trades. They can buff other players and hold their own in battle but lack the expertise to truly shine in any one area.
- Status: Released
- Release Date: Sep 02, 2008
- Business Model: Free to Play
- Developer: KingsIsle Entertainment
- Publisher: KingsIsle Entertainment
- Category: Stand-alone
- Genre(s): 3D, MMO, Adventure, RPG, Fantasy, Casual
- Platforms: PC, Mac
Editor's Score: 3/5
- +Original theme and graphic style.
- +Quest driven gameplay.
- +Unique card battle system.
- -Limited free content, most areas require subscription.
- -Geared towards children, restrictive chat.
- -Slow, turn based combat.
- Recommended System Requirements:
- OS: Windows XP or newer
- CPU: 1GHz Intel Processor
- RAM: 512MB
- GPU: GeForce 2 or the Equivalent
- HDD: 5 GB
Recommended System Requirements: (MAC)
- OS: Mac OS X Snow Leopard (10.6) or newer
- CPU: Intel-based Macintosh system running Mac OS X
- RAM: 512MB
- HDD: 5 GB
- Description: Wizard101 is a fantasy MMORPG set in a realm of child wizards and evil sorcerers where players can customize and battle with their own wizard. It is a highly polished game with plenty of lore and an original graphic style.
Articles You May Enjoy
- RaiderZ Celebrates Valentine's Day and Lunar New Year
- Perfect World Entertainment has rolled out a love-inspired event for RaiderZ, beginning February 6 and running until February 27.
- SMITE Launch Cosplay and Guan Yu Giveaway
- This past weekend was a wild ride for SMITE in Atlanta as the best teams of Europe and the US clashed for the title of masters of the west, a ...
- Star Trek Online Review (PlayStation 4)
- Almost MMO I’ve played on console was easy to get into and play and while not every MMO belongs on a console, this one most certainly does.