PlanetSide 2 takes all the groundbreaking features from the original game – massive multiplayer battles, distinct empires to rally around, and enormous continents where intense ground and air combat unfolds – and adds features that modern gamers have come to expect out of the FPS and MMO genres. With advanced technology, years of gamer feedback, and a new SOE proprietary MMO game engine called Forgelight™, PlanetSide 2 offers a truly competitive and visceral FPS experience with massive warfare, massive customization and massive community.
Across the continents of Auraxis, thousands of players will come together in enormous battles to win control of critical territories and key resources for their empire. With a an extensive skill tree and free-form class-based system, players will be able to customize their soldier, weapons and vehicles to match their play-style, as well as the needs of their squad, outfit or empire. Battles can last for days or weeks, so players will need to build alliances and specialized combat outfits to take on long-term strategic and tactical initiatives. With air and ground combat, the battles will be larger and more intense than ever.
Massive Warfare: Battles will take place not between dozens of troops, but hundreds; with air and ground vehicles slugging it out alongside squads of troops. Whether in open fields, tightly-packed urban centers or enormous structures, winning will require strategic teamwork and a quick trigger finger in the massive battles.
Three Empires: Players will have their choice to join three different empires:
Terran Republic – With a militaristic government, the Terran Republic uses its Imperial authoritarian might to impel humanity to peaceful coexistence through any means necessary.
New Conglomerate – A loosely connected group of rebel factions and idealistic freedom fighters, the New Conglomerate fights against the hegemony of the Terran.
Vanu Sovereignty – A technocratic faction that believes humanity can only evolve by rediscovering and tapping the lost technology of the Vanu.
Battle for Territories & Resources: The core gameplay of PlanetSide 2 is about holding key territories and controlling valuable resources. Each battleground holds valuable resources and key positions, and the empire that can conquer (and manage to hold) these territories will be rewarded with fuel bonuses, ammo bonuses, tech bonuses, and more.
Persistence: In Planetside 2 battles will last longer than a match timer. Battles will last for days or weeks, and finally taking control of the base means it’s yours until someone can take it back. Working strategically as a team to capture key tactical positions such as power plants and ammo depots will have long-lasting effects that can shift the tide of battle.
Enormous Maps: PlanetSide 2 will launch with several continent maps; every inch of which will be contestable space. With the new territorial control meta-game, landmass will have intrinsic value even without notable installations or major features.
Free-form Class-based System: Players will be able to unlock diverse combat roles by advancing through the skill tree, including several classic roles from PlanetSide. As players unlock new roles, they will be able to switch between them at will.
Mission System: Both SOE and players will be able to drive content, easing new players into the game and allowing veterans to feed content to players.
Skill Trees: Players will be able to build their soldier to match their play-style, or to match the needs of their squad, outfit or empire. Each combat role, vehicle and weapon will have extensive skill trees. These cert trees will allow players to grow characters laterally, unlocking weapons, attachments, equipment, specialized skills, and more.
Outfits: Outfits (guilds) will also be able to customize themselves – allowing outfits to have their own identity, reputation and role in the ongoing war.WEAPONS: Players will be able to access more than 20 basic weapons, which can be customized to players’ preference or purpose.
Vehicles: More than 10 vehicles with two unique vehicles per empire. Players will be able to customize each vehicle, unlocking new skills and featuresVivox Integration: Players will be able to communicate with their squads both through keyboard and voice chat.
- Status: Released
- Release Date: Nov 20, 2012
- Business Model: Free to Play
- Developer: Daybreak Game Company
- Publisher: Daybreak Game Company
- Category: Stand-alone
- Genre(s): 3D, MMO, Sci-Fi, Shooter
- Platforms: PC
Editor's Score: 3/5
- +Incredibly large scale combat.
- +Vehicular Combat.
- +Dynamic Day & Night Cycle.
- +Multiple Post-Launch Updates.
- -Not Casual Player Friendly.
- -Stiff Advancement.
- Recommended System Requirements:
- OS: Windows 7, Windows 8
- CPU: Intel i5 processor or higher / AMD Phenom II X6 or higher
- RAM: 8 GB
- GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 560 series or higher / AMD HD 6870 or higher
- HDD: 15 GB
- Description: PlanetSide 2 is a Massively Multiplayer first person shooter developed by Daybreak Game Company that delivers truly epic, massive combat with thousands of players.
Articles You May Enjoy
- League of Angels Introduces Volatile Battlefields
- The popular browser MMORPG, League of Angels, has announced a new GVG feature: the Volatile Battlefields.
- Shotgun News 12/9: NSA, Archlord, Alfheim Tales Online, and Much More!
- A look at the MMO news from the weekend and the start of the week.
- QuakeCon 2015 Official Tournament and QuakeCon Trials Lineup Announced
- QuakeCon brings together some of the greatest players in the world to compete in the Quake Live Tri-Master Tournament sponsored by Intel.