Carbine Studios Announces Business Model for WildStar
NCSOFT® and Carbine Studios today revealed initial details on the business model for WildStar, the much anticipated sci-fi MMO, outlining the different ways players can embark on their planetary adventure when it’s released in spring of 2014.
Upon purchasing WildStar through a retail outlet or digital download, players will receive 30 days free game time, plus three guest passes to give to friends for a week of galactic adventure. Players can then either opt to pay a standard monthly subscription, purchase a Game Time card, or use gold earned in-game to purchase C.R.E.D.D. from other players and avoid paying a subscription fee altogether.
C.R.E.D.D. (also known as a Certificate of Research, Exploration, Destruction and Development) is an in-game item that can be redeemed for game time. Players can sell C.R.E.D.D. to each other for gold in-game through each server’s Commodities Exchange at a rate established by the player community. C.R.E.D.D. can also be purchased for real money online at www.WildStar-Online.com. This model provides players multiple options for access to play – through a traditional MMO subscription or a ’play to pay’ approach.
“Gamers have strong opinions when it comes to business models and monetisation in MMO games”, said Jeremy Gaffney, executive producer at Carbine Studios. ”In combining a classic subscription model with C.R.E.D.D. we think we’ve struck a good balance. We definitely want to support players who appreciate the value of high-quality subscription-style game. Meanwhile, C.R.E.D.D. gives gamers who don’t like monthly subs the option to just play to pay and enjoy the same content”.
WildStar will be playable on the show floor at gamescom in Cologne, Germany, 21st -25th August and at PAX Prime in Seattle, USA, 29th August – 2nd September.
Articles You May Enjoy
- RaiderZ Zone Overview - Rengot Village
- Perfect World continues the zone overview for RaiderZ with the vicious Rengot Tribe and Rengot village!
- TERA Brawler Test Server Preview
- After witnessing the new class being demonstrated in the South Korean version of TERA, I was curious to try it out for myself.
- Celtic Heroes: Enter The Otherworld in New Expansion
- One Thumb Mobile announces that Celtic Heroes's free expansion, The Otherworld, is now available on Android.