EVE: Aether Wars Seeks to Create 10k Player Battle for Phase Two
Announced at EVE North, EVE Aether Wars: Phase Two is the next iteration of this partnership between Hadean and CCP Games. The original ground-breaking tech demo brought together 3,852 players for a single battlefield, resulting in 88,988 spaceships during GDC this year. But that’s not enough! Phase Two is going to be even bigger, with CCP Games and Hadean aiming for 10,000 players for a single battle. It will also offer a richer, deeper gameplay experience, for this world-record large-scale multiplayer simulation.
“This is the start of something special,” said Craig Beddis, CEO of Hadean. “We wanted to show the world that our Aether Engine technology can perform flawlessly under unprecedented strain. We’ve done that. Now we want to show the world unique and exciting gameplay experiences that can only be delivered by our technology. It’s not just gamers who will be thrilled by EVE Aether Wars: Phase Two but the games industry as well. We can’t wait for everyone to join us in this ambitious project.”
To take part, PC players can sign up for free via the link below, and the playtest itself will take place on August 18th, 2019, at 1 PM ET. As with the original, EVE Aether Wars: Phase Two will be powered by Aether Engine, Hadean’s cloud engine for persistent, massively multiplayer games. With Hadean focusing on the engine powering Phase Two, CCP Games drives development of its gameplay, as part of its ongoing research and development with large-scale multiplayer technology to push the boundaries of what’s possible in EVE Online.
“We are keen to build on the success of our joint efforts with Hadean on EVE Aether Wars and push our prototype even further,” said Hilmar V. Pétursson, CEO of CCP Games. “By using this technology to test the limits of the virtual worlds we can build, we hope to open up new possibilities for developers, the industry and ultimately the players themselves. We’re eager to explore the boundaries of what can be achieved in large-scale multiplayer gaming, which may even lead to the creation of spectacular new genres.”
Videos You May Enjoy
Articles You May Enjoy
- Age of Wulin: Mount Hua tournament commences on June 20th
- WEBZEN, a global leader in free-to-play MMORPGs, announces that the very first battle of the anticipated Mount Hua tournament will take place ...
- Star Trek Online 'Mirror of Discovery' Thoughts
- Though I’m still catching up on Star Trek Discovery, I took some time to go back through the Mirror of Discovery episode for Star Trek Onlin...
- Neverwinter: Elemental Evil Available Now
- Neverwinter: Elemental Evil brings a new playable class – the Paladin – increasing the playable class count to eight.