Amazon Purchases Twitch for $970 Million
As Reuters reported on Monday, the Internet retailer giant Amazon has purchased streaming site Twitch for $970 million. This occurred after reports that the deal between Google and Twitch had failed. The deal is expected to close by the end of year.
Twitch Chief Executive Officer Emmett Shear was quoted as saying the following regarding the choice of Amazon:
“The reason why we reached out to Amazon, the reason I thought working for Amazon, having Twitch being a part of Amazon, would be a great idea for us (because) they would give us the resources to pursue these things that we honestly already want to pursue and they’d let us do it faster.”
Actual details as to what this will mean for both Twitch users and Amazon consumers are still vague and in discussion, but it’s very possible we’ll see future support for Twitch on Kindle devices and better monetization for Twitch advertising and partner sales in the future.
A thank you letter from Twitch’s CEO can be read here.
Articles You May Enjoy
- Hyper Universe Early Access Now Available on Steam
- The side-scrolling MOBA, Hyper Universe is officially in Early Access! It will be free to play when it goes live, but Early Access is now.
- Elder Scrolls Online Craglorn Update Now Live
- Zenimax has released Update 1, including Craglorn, for Elder Scrolls Online today
- ARMA III Launch Review
- First of all I want to go into full detail of how open Bohemia Interactive is with its fans.