Amazon Purchases Twitch for $970 Million
As Reuters reported on Monday, the Internet retailer giant Amazon has purchased streaming site Twitch for $970 million. This occurred after reports that the deal between Google and Twitch had failed. The deal is expected to close by the end of year.
Twitch Chief Executive Officer Emmett Shear was quoted as saying the following regarding the choice of Amazon:
“The reason why we reached out to Amazon, the reason I thought working for Amazon, having Twitch being a part of Amazon, would be a great idea for us (because) they would give us the resources to pursue these things that we honestly already want to pursue and they’d let us do it faster.”
Actual details as to what this will mean for both Twitch users and Amazon consumers are still vague and in discussion, but it’s very possible we’ll see future support for Twitch on Kindle devices and better monetization for Twitch advertising and partner sales in the future.
A thank you letter from Twitch’s CEO can be read here.
Articles You May Enjoy
- Sudden Attack Review – The Original Counter-Strike Clone
- MMOHuts reviews Sudden Attack, GameHi's early Counter-strike style MMOFPS first released in 2005.
- Flyff's Latest Expansion 'Turning Point' Arrives This Month
- Webzen unveiled today that Flyff: Fly for Fun will be receiving a new expansion for European/American servers in March.
- Start Collecting Followers in Deity Quest - Available Today on Steam
- Fancy Fish Games is pleased to bring the exploration-based battler Deity Quest™ to PC, Mac, and Linux on Steam on today.