Amazon Purchases Twitch for $970 Million
As Reuters reported on Monday, the Internet retailer giant Amazon has purchased streaming site Twitch for $970 million. This occurred after reports that the deal between Google and Twitch had failed. The deal is expected to close by the end of year.
Twitch Chief Executive Officer Emmett Shear was quoted as saying the following regarding the choice of Amazon:
“The reason why we reached out to Amazon, the reason I thought working for Amazon, having Twitch being a part of Amazon, would be a great idea for us (because) they would give us the resources to pursue these things that we honestly already want to pursue and they’d let us do it faster.”
Actual details as to what this will mean for both Twitch users and Amazon consumers are still vague and in discussion, but it’s very possible we’ll see future support for Twitch on Kindle devices and better monetization for Twitch advertising and partner sales in the future.
A thank you letter from Twitch’s CEO can be read here.
Articles You May Enjoy
- Sniper Elite V3: Save Churchill DLC Part 2 Now Available
- Independent UK developer Rebellion today announced Save Churchill Part 2: Belly of the Beast, a brand new singleplayer and co-op mission for S...
- Twin Saga Launch Review
- So what is Twin Saga? It’s an MMO from X-Legend, so that’s a pretty big deal.
- League of Legends Season 4 Changes to Supports and Vision Revealed
- Two new posts have gone public this week on LoL's forums discussing major changes.