Second Life is a free-to-play casual simulation MMO developed by Linden Lab for PC, Mac, and Linux. Second Life does not have classes, any particular objectives, or any traditional MMORPG mechanics. Instead, the main draw of Second Life is the enabling of user creativity, avatar customization, and socializing (usually through roleplaying). The game is a massive, sandbox-like environment where other residents (players) have created a majority of the game’s content and zones you can travel to.
There is no native support for combat in Second Life, but there are user-created HUD modifications that allow for a kind of combat between player avatars in certain “sims” (regions created for specific groups of individuals, like cities), but this is a far cry from what the average MMO player will be used to. Creation is truly key in the world of Second Life. If you can imagine it, you can create it. Animations, scripting software, 3D models, clothing, vehicles, and skin textures are just the beginning of what you have the tools to whip up. You can even sell your creations at a marketplace for an in-game currency called Lindens that can be used to purchase all sorts of other creations from other residents. Lindens even hold a real-world value, and as such can be exchanged for US Dollars on the game’s official website.
If you’re looking for that next level of immersion fear not! Second Life has you covered. With build-in local voice chat and VR support for the Oculus Rift, Second Life is ready to submerge you in whatever world you want to jump into! You can even talk to others through a built-in messenger that supports webcams so you’ll never be far from the friends you make. Take your friends across the world to many different simulated locations, fight zombies, host events, and more. Make your story your own!
Those looking for a game they can truly get lost in will find themselves right at home in Second Life. Experience a practically limitless world where you can create, imagine, and roleplay with others today!
- Status: Released
- Release Date: Jun 23, 2003
- Business Model: Free to Play
- Developer: Linden Lab
- Publisher: Linden Lab
- Category: Stand-alone
- Genre(s): 3D, MMO, Casual, Virtual Worlds
- Platforms: PC, Mac, Linux
- +Excellent character customization
- +Enormous game world that continuously evolves
- +Excellent roleplaying platform
- -Areas can take a long time to fully load
- -Client crashes frequently
- -Premium account required to access much of the game
- Recommended System Requirements:
- OS: Windows Vista / 7 / 8.1
- CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz
- RAM: 3 GB
- GPU: Nvidia GeForce 9800, AMD Radeon 4850, or better
Articles You May Enjoy
- The World II: New bosses annouced
- With an already large support of over 10,000 gamers on Steam’s Greenlight service, The World 2 has introduced two more of their over 80 boss...
- ArcheAge: Livestream Series Annouced By XLGames; Starts Today
- XLGames has recently announced that they will be hosting a new Livestream series called Exploring ArcheAge.