World of Tanks Prepares for Graphics Overhaul with Umbra 3 License
Umbra Software today announced that Wargaming, the leading free-to-play MMO developer and publisher, has licensed the Umbra 3 Visibility Solution for its MMO action game World of Tanks.
“We have worked with Wargaming since the early days and it’s been incredible to watch the growing success of World of Tanks,” said Otso Mäkinen, Chief Technology Officer at Umbra Software. “We are very proud that Wargaming has chosen to use our latest technology to boost the rendering performance of World of Tanks.”
“The Umbra 3 Solution gives great performance benefits, removing the need to use GPU Occlusion queries,” said Vladimir Suslionkov, Lead of the Graphics Engine Team at Wargaming. “It will allow us to evolve the games looks by creating highly sophisticated levels and adding more details to both vehicle models and the gaming environment.”
Umbra 3 will be used to optimize World of Tanks content resulting in an improved frame-rate and general rendering performance. The licensing agreement gives all Wargaming development studios the chance to utilize the Umbra 3 Visibility technology.
The Umbra 3 Visibility Solution improves development workflow by enabling both rapid content iteration as well as the creation of more detailed graphics content. The software automatically generates occludes from “polygon soup”, empowering artists to spend their time on creating awesome looking game worlds.
The Umbra 3 Visibility Solution is used in games such as Destiny, Call of Duty©: Ghosts, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, Killzone: Shadow Fall and Quantum Break.
Articles You May Enjoy
- MMOHuts Livestream 11/28: Thanksgiving Food Coma Special
- JamesBl0nde is now live on Twitch.TV with a special post-Thanksgiving stream. Join us for special giveaways in Trove and SMITE, and we might b...
- Darkfall Unholy Wars Custom Roles Announced
- Aventurine SA announces players may now set their own custom roles and skill sets for Darkfall Unholy Wars.
- Neverwinter's 'Lost City of Omu' Module Comes to Console in April
- The secrets of Chult's Trickster Gods hold the key to defeating Acererak's death curse in Neverwinter: Lost City of Omu.