World of Tanks Prepares for Graphics Overhaul with Umbra 3 License
Umbra Software today announced that Wargaming, the leading free-to-play MMO developer and publisher, has licensed the Umbra 3 Visibility Solution for its MMO action game World of Tanks.
“We have worked with Wargaming since the early days and it’s been incredible to watch the growing success of World of Tanks,” said Otso Mäkinen, Chief Technology Officer at Umbra Software. “We are very proud that Wargaming has chosen to use our latest technology to boost the rendering performance of World of Tanks.”
“The Umbra 3 Solution gives great performance benefits, removing the need to use GPU Occlusion queries,” said Vladimir Suslionkov, Lead of the Graphics Engine Team at Wargaming. “It will allow us to evolve the games looks by creating highly sophisticated levels and adding more details to both vehicle models and the gaming environment.”
Umbra 3 will be used to optimize World of Tanks content resulting in an improved frame-rate and general rendering performance. The licensing agreement gives all Wargaming development studios the chance to utilize the Umbra 3 Visibility technology.
The Umbra 3 Visibility Solution improves development workflow by enabling both rapid content iteration as well as the creation of more detailed graphics content. The software automatically generates occludes from “polygon soup”, empowering artists to spend their time on creating awesome looking game worlds.
The Umbra 3 Visibility Solution is used in games such as Destiny, Call of Duty©: Ghosts, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, Killzone: Shadow Fall and Quantum Break.
Articles You May Enjoy
- Shotgun News 8/16: Guild Wars 2, Lego Minifig, Black Gold, and More
- News from Guild Wars 2, Funcom's Lego Minifigure MMO, Grand Theft Auto Online, Black Gold, and more.
- Heroes Charge Launches Massive TV Campaign for the Holidays
- The commercials will air from December 20 through January 23 in the US and run throughout January globally.
- Conquer Online 3.0 Kingdom War Update Bringing New Features
- In mid-October, Conquer Online will witness the updates of the first wave of 3.0 features.