AAA Online Game Veterans Form New Indie Studio For Online Games
A veteran team of online gaming experts today announced the formation of Citadel Studios, a new independent video game development company focusing on multiplayer role-playing games for PC. For the past six months, Citadel has been heads down working on their first project, codenamed “Shards,” and is ready to give the world a sneak peek. With Shards, Citadel is taking inspiration from their previous work on the grandaddy of RPGs, Ultima Online – they’re creating a truly next-generation online game that will enable players to customize their experience, and change the face of player collaboration forever.
Citadel was founded by game industry veterans Derek Brinkmann, Chris Ondrus and Tim Cotten, whose collective credits range from RPG classics like the Elder Scrolls series, Ultima Online, Dark Age of Camelot and Warhammer Online, to AAA titles in the NASCAR and Madden franchises. Derek, Chris and Tim have seen online games evolve from their earliest days through the introduction of free-to-play, mobile, MOBAs and other modern multiplayer genres. With a full understanding of the genre’s history and modern development, Citadel’s goal is to create something like nothing else on the market.
“We left our soul-crushing, corporate jobs to make the games we’d actually play,” said Derek Brinkmann, founder and CEO of Citadel Studios. “As we started our first project and experimented with concepts, we discovered ways we could share our passion for creating living worlds with gamers themselves. Ultimately the community will dictate what Shards becomes, because we’re not just providing a game but also a platform for players to express their creativity.”
Based on their own personal passion for the genre, Citadel is ignoring the modern online gaming imperative to squeeze every last cent from every player. Set in a richly-imagined universe with deep lore and environments ranging from the familiar to the surprising, Shardswill give players more power than ever before, without constantly asking them to take out their wallets.
Articles You May Enjoy
- Little Orbit Acquires GamersFirst Portal and APB Reloaded
- Little Orbit has been expanding its repertoire of games, most recently announcing a partnership with Descendent Studios.
- Hero Commander: Cross-server 5v5 coming soon
- Thanks to the Cross-server Battle, players in Hero Commander can now battle for a long time in Ruins or test their might against other warrior...
- Fiesta: Worldwide tournament with €10,000 in cash prizes coming soon
- The time has finally come: The worldwide Fiesta Tournament will kick off in less than a few hours (5 p.m.). Until June 22nd, all current and f...