City of Heroes launches free-to-play
NCSoft has officially launched City of Heroes Freedom, the new free-to-play model for City of Heroes.
Free players can access all content up to level 50 for free, with access to eight Archetypes, two character slots, and most Task Forces, Strike Forces, Trials, and Raids. Free players will not be able to access alignment changes, day jobs, mission architect, or live support unless they upgrade to a premium (subscription) account.
The launch of the model coincides with Issue 21: Convergence, a patch which introduces a new starting experience, a new zone with a special public event, Signature Story Arcs, the Underground Incarnate Trial, and new powers and costumes.
NCSoft also publishes Aion and Lineage II.
City of Heroes Gameplay Screenshot
City of Heroes FreedomTM Blasts into a New EraPlayers Experience Super-Powered Choice, Rewards and Content on Their Terms
NCsoft® and Paragon Studios™ are excited to announce the launch of City of Heroes Freedom™, the new gameplay model that offers existing and new players unparalleled access to acclaimed content found within the world’s most popular super heroic MMO.
Starting today, the Freedom model allows all players to reach level 50 at no cost, while providing players with the option to purchase new content a la carte to build a one-of-a-kind gaming experience. Kicking off this era of choice, reward and content is Issue 21: Convergence, which is ready for players as soon as they log in. Issue 21: Convergence and City of Heroes Freedom come packed with a whole new zone, Incarnate Trial, powers, costumes and more, including the new monthly Signature Story Arcs and the Paragon Rewards Program.
“Our fans have come to expect great content and with City of Heroes Freedom we’ve clearly raised the bar by delivering the best gameplay we’ve ever developed, and giving players the choice to truly customise their gaming experience” said Brian Clayton, Executive Producer at Paragon Studios. “We aren’t just flipping a switch and going ‘Free-to-Play.’ We’re embarking on the biggest content and feature update to City of Heroes in its seven-year history.”
The launch of Issue 21: Convergence leads the charge of City of Heroes Freedom with a plethora of new content for eager participants. Below is what players will experience with City of Heroes Freedom today:
· New Zone: First Ward, the training and testing grounds for some of Praetoria’s most elite forces and sinister weapons, is where players will encounter all new threats, including the massive zone-wide event, the Seed of Hamidon.
· New Epic Challenges: The Underground Incarnate Trial takes place deep below the streets of Praetoria, in the secret lair of the Devouring Earth. Those strong enough to break through their stronghold may reach the devastating Avatar of Hamidon for a final showdown of epic proportions. Up to 28 players can team up to fight new menaces and unlock great rewards.
· New Power Sets and Costumes: Time Manipulation (free for VIP Players), Beam Rifle and Street Justice represent just the beginning of new powers coming to players with City of Heroes Freedom, while the Barbarian and the Circle of Thorns Costume Sets, as well as the IDF and Defense Costume Sets (free for VIP Players) add even more options to the millions of customisation options at a players’ fingertips.
· New Starting Experience: Puts new players right in the middle of the action, giving them access to all archetypes with no alignment restriction. During the new starting experience, players will have the opportunity to determine whether they ally with the forces of good, or harness the powers of evil.
· New Missions: The debut of monthly Signature Story Arcs (free for VIP Players), enables players to play a key role in the main storyline as they fight alongside iconic heroes and villains and discover which of Paragon City’s premier heroes will die!
· New Rewards: The Paragon Rewards program is our way to thank players for investing in City of Heroes and provides new and unique in-game rewards designed around each player’s unique tastes and play style.
For more information on today’s announcement, Issue 21 content and Freedom, please visit www.cityofheroes.com/freedom.
Articles You May Enjoy
- Jagex Announces Block N Load
- Jagex Games Studio today announced a new online multiplayer first-person shooter, in which brains are as important as bullets.
- E3 2017 Tuesday Recap: Elder Scrolls Online, ARK, Black Desert Online
- This is the 8th Circle of Hell, and I’m right in the middle of it squeaking out coverage on the few online multiplayer PC titles.
- Year of EverQuest Continues To Look Ahead
- Sony Online Entertainment celebrates the 15th anniversary of EverQuest with new content for all three EverQuest franchise games.