Funcom reveals free-to-play success for Conan
A month ago, Age of Conan went free-to-play – and Funcom is now revealing details about how successful the transition was.
Since the transition, Age of Conan has gained over 300,000 new players, quadrupling the server activity and doubling the game’s revenues. Funcom also says that subscriptions have increased.
Age of Conan will be adding a new Adventure Pack, Savage Coast of Turan, designed around the new Conan the Barbarian movie that releases on August 18.
Age of Conan Gameplay Screenshot
Over 300,000 players join ‘Age of Conan: Unchained’ in first month
– The barbarian hordes are invading the virtual lands of Hyboria, in the now free-to-play ‘Age of Conan: Unchained’ –
– Server activity quadrupled, game revenues more than doubled during launch month –
– Two million players have experienced the virtual Hyboria –
Durham, USA – August 11th, 2011 – This month the greatest fantasy hero of all time is truly making his triumphant return to the spotlight. Not only is the premiere of the upcoming Hollywood revival, ‘Conan the Barbarian’, less than two weeks away, Conan is also breaking new grounds in the massively multiplayer online gaming universe. After going free-to-play roughly a month ago, over 300,000 new players have now charged the fields of Hyboria in ‘Age of Conan: Unchained’.
“The launch of the hybrid business model has been very successful so far,” says Funcom CEO Trond Arne Aas. “The activity levels on the servers are booming with a fourfold increase in players during July, we more than doubled the revenue generated from the game, and we have experienced a positive development in subscriber numbers. This definitely gives us great hope for the game’s future.”
‘Age of Conan’ launched in 2008 to raving reviews and player acclaim. The game became the best-selling new MMO of the year as it topped the sales chart in over 17 different countries simultaneously, and the game recently hit the impressive milestone of over two million players having experienced the world of Hyboria.
“We are delighted to see the success of ‘Age of Conan: Unchained’”, says Executive Producer and Game Director Craig Morrison. “We have been working hard to show that we are one of the best, and most unique, MMO experiences on the market. Our focus now is to deliver even more content and new experiences to players, starting with the movie tie-in Adventure Pack that is launching in the near future!”
To celebrate the revival of Conan the Barbarian on the silver screen, the ‘Age of Conan: Unchained’ development team are hard at work creating a unique, movie tie-in Adventure Pack titled ‘Savage Coast of Turan’. The adventure pack will introduce all new world areas, as well as monsters, characters and player equipment that audiences can experience in the movie as it hits theatres on August 18th.
Articles You May Enjoy
- World of Warcraft - Highmaul Raid Reviewed
- With World of Warcraft's Warlords of Draenor recently releasing, only one raid was prepared for the expansion’s launch: Highmaul, an Og...
- Super Evil Megacorp’s Vainglory Launching Android Closed Beta
- The developers of Vainglory, the MOBA perfected for touch that is revolutionizing the genre for mobile devices, today are launching an Android...
- Herokon Online: New High-Level Areas & Cursed Cave Now Available
- Developer Silver Style Studios has expanded Herokon Online, adding the Bodir Valley, once ruled by the mysterious priest-kings, and Daspota, t...