Star Wars: The Old Republic Going Free-To-Play
BioWare has announced that it will be adding a free-to-play option for Star Wars The Old Republic this fall.
The free to play side of Star Wars: The Old Republic will let players access all eight character class storylines, with a level cap of 50.
Unlimited game access, including new higher-level game content and new features will be made available through individual purchases or through a subscription option. Free players will also be restricted to limited species, warzones, flashpoints, space missions, trade, and travel, and will not be able to complete operations. SW:TOR will also continue to offer a premium subscription which will offer unlimited access. To bridge the gap, players will also be able to buy content, vanity items, and more in a new store with Cartel Coins.
Previous subscribers will gain various benefits as free-to-play launches in thanks for their previous service, including Cartel Coins and in-game items.
Star Wars: The Old Republic Gameplay Screenshot
EA Expands Award-Winning MMO Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ With Free-To-Play Option This Fall
New Free-to-Play Model Opens Up the Critically-Acclaimed MMO from BioWare and LucasArts to Millions of Additional Star Wars Fans and Gamers Worldwide
Austin, Texas – July 31, 2012 – BioWare™, a Label of Electronic Arts (NASDAQ: EA), announced today that it will be expanding the story-driven, massively multiplayer online game Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ by adding a new Free-to-Play option this fall. This option will give players access to each of the eight iconic Star Wars character class storylines, all the way up to level 50, with certain restrictions*. Unlimited game access, including new higher-level game content and new features will be made available through individual purchases or through a subscription option.
“Players want flexibility and choice. The subscription-only model presented a major barrier for a lot of people who wanted to become part of The Old Republic™ universe,” said Matthew Bromberg, GM of BioWare Austin.
Jeff Hickman, Executive Producer of Star Wars: The Old Republic added, “Since launch we have been adding new content and refining The Old Republic at a breakneck pace based on the feedback from our fans. We believe we are in a position to help improve the service even more, not only by continuing to add new content, but also by expanding the game to many more Star Wars fans, increasing the populations on worlds and the vibrancy of the community.”
Starting this fall, there will be two different ways to play Star Wars: The Old Republic:
- Subscription – A premium level service designed for players who want unrestricted access to all the game features via ongoing subscription or by redeeming a Game Time Card. In addition to gaining access to all game content as our current subscribers do now, Premium Players will receive ongoing monthly grants of Cartel Coins**, the new virtual currency that will be introduced later this fall. Cartel Coins can be used to purchase valuable items including customizable gear and convenience features that will enhance the game play experience.
- Free-to-Play –The first 50 levels will be free-to-play, with some restrictions on access to new content and advanced player features. Some restrictions can be “unlocked” with Cartel Coins.
As the first step towards adding the new Free-to-Play option this fall, in August at retail Star Wars: The Old Republic will go on sale for $14.99 USD, including one-month of free subscription.
Current and former players will also find additional benefits as part of this program. BioWare will be increasing the frequency of game content updates, with the first of many new releases coming in August. In addition, current subscribers will receive Cartel Coin grants and qualify for access to special in-game items. Even former players who re-activate now will qualify for special benefits. To learn more about these rewards, please visit www.StarWarstheOldRepublic.com/FREE.
Star Wars: The Old Republic is one of the most critically acclaimed MMOs of all time, having won MSNBC’s “Game of the Year” award in 2011, “Editor’s Choice” awards from IGN, PC Gamer and “Best MMO of 2011” awards from Game Informer, GameSpy, AOL Massively, Ten Ton Hammer and more. The game is set thousands of years before the classic Star Wars movies, with the Galactic Republic and Sith Empire locked in the middle of an epic, galactic war. Players choose one of eight iconic Star Wars character classes, including the Jedi Knight, Jedi Consular, Smuggler, Trooper, Sith Warrior, Sith Inquisitor, Bounty Hunter and Imperial Agent, becoming the hero or villain of their own personal Star Wars saga.
For more information on Star Wars: The Old Republic, please visit www.StarWarsTheOldRepublic.com, follow the game on Twitter at http://twitter.com/swtor or “Like” Star Wars: The Old Republic on Facebook at http://facebook.com/starwarstheoldrepublic.
Articles You May Enjoy
- Orcs Must Die! Unchained Beta Preview
- The name of the game is strategy. One does not simply zerg one lane over and over in Orcs Must Die! Unchained. At least, not if they want to w...
- Infinite Crisis – Nightmare Superman Available on April 9th
- Nightmare Superman is the latest Champion to join Infinite Crisis, the free-to-play MOBA from Turbine based in the DC Universe!