Oakland Video Game Museum Resurrecting First MMO “Habitat”
The Museum of Art and Digital Entertainment (The MADE) will be spending Sunday, September 28th, attempting to resurrect the world’s first massively multiplayer online game, Habitat. The project seeks to relaunch the Habitat server on original Stratus Technologies hardware from 1989, and to allow users on the Internet to connect to the game server for free using a Commodore 64 emulator.
The MADE is the first videogame museum to attempt such a relaunch. In fact, there has never been an attempt to relaunch a 28 year old, dead MMO before, primarily because MMO’s are mostly a phenomenon that has existed only over the last 15 years.
As the first MMO, Habitat invented a lot of the terms used today, such as Avatar. The game was hosted on the Quantum Link service, which eventually became America Online. Other companies involved in our Habitat resurrection project include Fujitsu, which owns the rights to the game, KIXEYE, the leader in online and mobile combat strategy games, which is sponsoring the effort, and Stratus Technologies, which donated the vintage server.
Habitat will remain online and playable, provided the hackathon to bring it online on September 28th is successful. Given a successful relaunch, Habitat will remain online until we are able to replace it with a modern code base and modern server hardware. More information about the technical efforts involved in this work are online at:
Articles You May Enjoy
- Skyforge: First Closed Beta Testing Date Announced
- Allods Team, Obsidian Entertainment, and My.com are pleased to announce that Skyforge, the upcoming sci-fi fantasy MMORPG, will be holding its...
- Transformers: Forged to Fight - Scorponok Joins the Fight
- One of Megatron's most loyal soldiers has arrived in Transformers: Forged to Fight, the mighty Scorponok.
- Kritika Online Development Roadmap Detailed
- There are some big changes coming to the online anime brawler, Kritika Online. The Roadmap they've highlighted details three months of co...