Warframe Expands onto the Switch, Announces New Expansion and More
The third annual conference for all Warframe-related content, Tennocon had some gigantic news this year, from a new open world area to expansion onto the Nintendo Switch! “Fortuna” is the next major update and will offer an open-world area onto the surface of Venus, which features a sharp, science-fiction aesthetic. The Solaris United faction is struggling against their Corpus overlords, and alongside the mercurial clouds of blue and orange, there is an expanded level of vertical gameplay. There are new ground troops to fight, new Spider Bot enemies of various sizes, new combat experiences, and if that wasn’t enough, Hoverboards! The Bondi K-Drive is a customizable hoverboard that skates across the landscape at the touch of a controller. Get ready to travel to the surface of The Orb Vallis. They also announced “Codename: Railjack”, which will seamlessly merge space combat with the open Fortuna landscape.
Digital Extremes’ newest expansion is part of a grander vision. In addition to the open-world expansion of Fortuna, a separate future update takes Warframe down a totally uncharted path. ‘Codename: Railjack’ will enable 1-4 players to board a warship on land and ascend into space to explore and fight. Players will coordinate responsibilities across the military spacecraft to engage in PvE combat against hostile enemies. The full space experience grants extensive player freedom with options to launch Archwings into space to board, infiltrate and destroy enemy ships during battles. This future update looks to create a cohesive gameplay experience between Warframe’s open Landscapes, procedurally generated levels, and a new outer-space freedom in a unique sci-fi world.
The Nintendo Switch has exploded in popularity since its launch, reaching heights that the Wii-U will never ascend to. With that, Warframe will give players a chance to master the Tenno on a brand new console, on the Switch! Digital Extremes has partnered with Panic Button (DOOM, Wolfenstein: The New Colossus, Rocket League) to bring the title to the Switch. We do not have a release date yet, but as soon as we do, you will know! This is huge news, and as a Switch fanatic, I cannot wait to get hands on.
Digital Extremes also announced a number of other exciting news bits in its hour-long show:
- Two New Warframes: Tenno can look forward to Codename ‘Revenant’, an Eidolon-themed Warframe with a deadly affliction, and codename ‘Garuda’, a vicious, gory Warframe that plays with her prey.
- The New War: Digital Extremes hinted at what to expect in the next chapter of its Cinematic Quest series.
- Community-driven Creativity: Quick, did you miss it? During the debut of Fortuna, Digital Extremes featured its valued TennoGen partners’ cosmetic creations as part of its ongoing relationship with its community members.
- Exclusive Amazon Prime Day Bundle: As part of the Amazon Prime Day celebrations, starting July 12, Digital Extremes announced the continuation of its marketing partnership to give away cool Warframe stuff featuring an exclusive Liset Skin and an exclusive Color Picker (must be Twitch Prime members to claim).
- For The Community: Following its tradition to support and contribute to its local community, Digital Extremes donated $200,000 CAD to this year’s charity partner, Canada Learning Code, which teaches digital skills to women, girls, people with disabilities, indigenous youth, and newcomers. For more information on Canada Learning Code’s education vision and programs, head to www.canadalearningcode.ca/.
Videos You May Enjoy
Articles You May Enjoy
- Infinite Crisis Closing in August
- Turbine has announced that it will be shutting down its DC Comics MOBA, Infinite Crisis, on August 14, 2015.