Wizards of the Coast settles with Cryptozoic and Hex
Today Wizards of the Coast LLC, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc. (NASDAQ: HAS) and publisher of the strategy trading card game Magic: The Gathering®, and Cryptozoic Entertainment, LLC and Hex Entertainment, LLC, have resolved a litigation filed in May of last year claiming willful infringement of intellectual property rights arising from the digital trading card game, Hex: Shards of Fate®. The parties have entered into a settlement agreement and license with undisclosed terms.
“We recognize that Wizards owns valuable intellectual property in Magic: The Gathering, are happy to have this matter settled and excited to move forward with Hex: Shards of Fate,” said Hex Entertainment President and CEO Cory Jones. “We believe that the gaming community will benefit from knowing that Hex: Shards of Fate is no longer subject to litigation.”
“Wizards of the Coast has always welcomed new games to the trading card game genre, and we encourage TCG fans to not only play Magic, but to try many different games. However, we will not hesitate to take action to protect our intellectual property and the amazing work of hundreds of dedicated Magic team members around the world. That is why we brought this lawsuit and why we are happy to announce its resolution through a settlement and license that both protects the valuable intellectual property of Magic: The Gathering and allows Cryptozoic and Hex to move forward with Hex: Shards of Fate,” said Wizards of the Coast CEO, Greg Leeds.
The lawsuit filed in May of last year included claims for copyright, patent and trade dress infringement.
Articles You May Enjoy
- Outspark Raises Hell with Chilling Halloween Spookfest
- Today Outspark treated its community of over 10 million registered users to a wonderfully wicked Halloween Spookfest for Luvinia online, Fiest...
- Final Fantasy Brave Exvius Hits 5 Million Western Players
- Final Fantasy Brave Exvius, a full-scale mobile RPG co-developed by Square Enix and gumi, has proven a global hit.
- Star Trek Online: Age of Discovery Begins in October
- The countdown has begun to the Age of Discovery in Star Trek Online: The big date is October 9th for PC.