Supercell Acquired by Tencent
Today, Supercell confirmed the news that it is being acquired by Tencent.
The Chinese company will acquire SoftBank’s investment in Supercell, while the game developer will retain its operational independence. In a company blog, CEO Ilkka Paananen stated:
As we started to spend more time getting to know potential strategic partners, it became apparent to us that a partnership with Tencent would secure everything that has made Supercell a success, while also enabling us to take a few pretty big leaps on this journey. . .
Supercell cites multiple reasons for the partnership, including the ability to reach Chinese gamers, work with Riot Games, and keep the company privately held.
Articles You May Enjoy
- Conquer Online launches Invasion of Pirates
- The Invasion of Pirates expansion has arrived in Conquer Online today, offering players a new class and more.
- Garbage Pail Kids Mobile Game Now Available on iOS
- The Garbage Pail Kids are back! On iOS anyway, as the new Garbage Pail Kids Mobile Game has arrived.
- Divinity: Original Sin Preview
- As you can see, I was more than a little impressed with Divinity: Original Sin. It looked good on paper, and the real thing was fantastic.