Salem Begins Open Beta
Paradox Interactive has announced the start of open beta testing for its free-to-play, community-driven MMORPG, Salem.
In Salem, players can step into the well-worn boots of brave pilgrims, arriving in a fledgling settlement and attempting to carve out their new homes in the untamed wilderness. To survive, pilgrims will need to learn from the land to boost their skills, scavenge for food, and harvest natural resources in a wide-open sandbox environment to craft tools and homes, and even establish their own in-game settlements. Danger lurks around every corner, however, and between wild animals, unseen perils, and their fellow players, surviving Salem is no lean feat: there are few restrictions on Player-versus-Player (PvP) attacks, no law except what the community makes, and in Salem, death is permanent.
By designing Salem with less of a traditional MMO structure, and instead presenting players with a persistent community sandbox with high-stakes consequences for conflict, Paradox and Seatribe are allowing the Salem community to shape their own experiences. The in-game society that has sprung up during closed beta – including a bustling barter-based economy, vigilantes and mob justice, and rival settlements, have all happened as a result of players’ choices and actions. With the new addition of more players during open beta, it will be fascinating to discover what the community ultimately makes of the world of Salem.
To give new players an idea what they’re in for, Paradox Interactive has released a new video featuring “Tarp Marpton” who continues his documentation of the new world. In Salem players may assume the role of Pilgrims, bandits, natives or whatever they please. Welcome to the community driven MMO.
Articles You May Enjoy
- Snail Games Announces Soft-Launch of Tales of Gaia
- The Beta Test for Snail Games Tales of Gaia is over, but that's just the beginning for this mobile title.
- Iron Bit Launches Major Update in Colonies Online
- With the new update released today, colonists can now build crafting stations in their colonies for to create weapons and armor.
- Elsword Elysion Update Announced
- Elsword has announced that a new area, the town of Elysion, is arriving in an upcoming update.