Old School RuneScape Tournament Succeeds After Cyberattack
Jagex Games Studio – creators and custodians of the fantasy MMORPG, RuneScape – is pleased to announce that ‘The Abusement Park’ team secured a mighty victory in the inaugural Old School RuneScape Tournament. The event, which took place on the 15th/16th August, saw eight teams battle it out for a share of a $10,000 prize pool. Originally scheduled to take part at the start of the month, that first attempt was halted early on due to a significant cyberattack that prevented it from being livestreamed.
More than 240,000 unique viewers watched the tournament on RuneScape’s Twitch channel, with peak concurrencies in excess of 13,000 – more than double the usual figures recorded by typical Old School RuneScape livestreams. While the teams fought across a number of maps in game, a team of RuneScape experts commentated at a top secret bunker and watched the ebb and flow of battle, away from further threats of a cyberattack. The tournament was featured on Twitch’s homepage and ensured RuneScape maintained a top eight position on the platform’s most streamed list of games over the weekend.
‘The Abusement Park’ ultimately walked away victors and secured a $5,000 prize; ‘Fatality’ took the runners-up prize of $3,000; and ‘Flippergang’ secured the third-place prize of $2,000.
Articles You May Enjoy
- R2Games Announces Open Alpha of Newest Browser Game Kingdom Rift
- Kingdom Rift WP Kingdom Rift, the latest game set to be released by global publisher Reality Squared Games, has opened its alpha test today.
- Shot Online To Be Part of GNGWC 2010 Finals
- Shot Online chosen for Game N Game World Championship Finals. Regional finalists will compete for a chance to win $5,000 in GamesCampus' ...
- GWENT Masters Returns This Weekend with March 2019 GWENT Open
- Competitive GWENT is back starting this weekend! The best pro GWENT players duke it out this weekend (March 16th/17th).