Nexon America and Cliffy B Teams Up
NEXON, a worldwide leader in free-to-play online games, today announced that its wholly owned subsidiary Nexon America Inc. (“Nexon America”) has entered into a strategic partnership with Cliff Bleszinski, the videogame designer affectionately called “CliffyB” and “Dude Huge” by legions of fans. Earlier, Bleszinski also announced the news of his long-awaited development studio, Boss Key Productions, and its first game, a free-to-play first-person shooter (FPS) code-named BlueStreak, via Twitter (@TheRealCliffyB). As a part of the partnership, Nexon has acquired a minority stake in Boss Key and the exclusive worldwide publishing and marketing rights to BlueStreak, which will be managed through Nexon America. Additional terms of the agreement were not disclosed.
“Cliff is one of the most innovative and renowned game designers of our time, and his reputation for creating genre-defining games that inspire a dedicated fan base is well-earned,” said Owen Mahoney, president and chief executive officer, Nexon. “Players across the world have eagerly awaited Cliff’s next move, and we’re delighted to partner with Boss Key to bring the next generation of first-person shooters to market. Cliff shares our unwavering commitment to delivering players the absolute highest-quality game-play experience.”
Bleszinski, best known for his work on shooter titles such as Unreal Tournament and the Gears of War franchise, which grossed over $1 billion in sales, has been eager to return to his roots and create a “proper” first-person shooter since departing Epic Games in 2012. Founding Boss Key and assembling a world-class team are the first steps towards realizing that goal.
“Creating fun and memorable shooters is in my DNA, and making the move to free-to-play games is all about maximizing the potential audience for your title while embracing where the industry is headed,” said Bleszinski, founder and chief executive officer, Boss Key. “No one knows the free-to-play market better than Nexon, which is why they were the obvious partner to publish BlueStreak. It’s a game and concept I think will really resonate with players who have been clamoring for a new take on an old favorite. After all, I’ve had a year and a half to plan it.”
Articles You May Enjoy
- Outcast Odyssey: DeviantArt Contest Winners Announced
- BANDAI NAMCO Games America Inc. and DeviantArt today announced the grand prize winners of their worldwide search for new card designs to be fe...
- Weekly Hut Stream (February 28, 2014) Featuring Strife Giveaway and Mighty Quest for Epic Loot
- JamesBl0nde is now live on Twitch.TV playing Strife and Mighty Quest for Epic Loot! Watch the team gaming it up and get a preview of upcoming ...
- Lineage 2: Revolution Begins DC Batman Collaboration
- In celebration of the game’s first anniversary, Super Heroes and Super-Villains from the Batman family are now available for a limited time...