Hi-Rez Studios Celebrates Finale of 2016 Smite World Championship
Hi-Rez Studios has closed the books on the SMITE World Championship presented by Xbox One (SWC), thus bringing to a conclusion Season 2 of the action MOBA game. The world’s top SMITE teams converged in Atlanta, United States from Thursday January 7 to Sunday January 10 for a four-day battle of wits and reflexes. Europe’s Epsilon eSports defeated North America’s Enemy 3-0 in the Grand Finals of the SMITE PC World Championship to claim $500,000 and the immortal title of SMITE World Champions.
The SWC was also host to the premiere of the SMITE Xbox One Invitational, drawing the four top teams from the platform’s rising competitive scene to fight for a prize pool of $150,000. In the final series, Team EnVyUs emerged victorious over Cognitive Gaming 3-0, taking home the highest honors and $75,000.
Hi-Rez Studios capped the prize pool for the PC World Championship at $1 million in order to distribute a greater share of winnings at tournaments throughout the season; in total, more than $2 million in crowd-sourced prizes were awarded to SMITE players in the past year of competitive play. For a full breakdown of the results from the 2016 SWC, please visit http://swc.smitegame.com.
An infographic about Season 2 was also released by Hi-Rez today showing for instance how SMITE’s lifetime player base grew from 6 to 13 million during the year. The game saw 10 new gods being released, while additionally $464,182 dollar was raised for charity in the course of the season.
During the SWC, Hi-Rez Studios introduced the Japanese Pantheon, a new cast of upcoming gods, skins and items inspired by Japanese mythology. The first of these mighty deities, Amaterasu, the Goddess of the Sun, is now available on PC and late February on the Xbox One. The God Reveal video for this god is available here. Amaterasu’s arrival begins a multi-week event called Rising Sun, which will include many Japanese-themed skins, such as Kaiju Sobek and Harajuku Neith. The company also announced a new 3v3 Joust League and 3v3 Joust map for Season 3 as well.
Articles You May Enjoy
- Heroes of the Storm: New Hero, Battleground and Team League
- Blizzard has announced that the new patch for Heroes of the Storm will go live later today and includes a ton of great updates.
- SMITE - The Battleground of the Gods just got bigger!
- The latest patch for the AAA Free-to-Play MOBA SMITE revealed a new game mode, known as Arena. This team deathmatch style game mode also featu...
- Transformers Universe Drops Repair Mechanic in Newest Patch
- Transformers Universe has launched a new patch that eliminates the repair mechanic entirely from the game.