Guild Wars 2 Begins First PvP League Season
ArenaNet, publisher and developer of the acclaimed Guild Wars 2 and expansion Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns, is proud to announce that the first Guild Wars 2 Player vs Player (PvP) League season has begun, thanks to the delivery of a new update, which allows even the most casual of players to rise to elite-level competitive play.
Starting today, players of all skill levels are invited to play their way through six divisions (Amber to Legendary), winning gold, items, titles, achievements and ranking to display to the game’s entire community.
In order to compete, players form a team of five and enroll in the Guild Challenger League where their team’s performance in ranked PvP matches is tracked and rated. PvP Leagues will allow new and existing guild teams to battle against similarly-skilled players and be placed on a special leaderboard with ELO rating determining who tops the crop and who circles the drain. This rating will degrade over time, so only the most skillful and active guilds will prosper over the course of a 7-week season.
More information about these new systems can be found in the previously published PvP Leagues blogpost from associate director, John Corpening.
The top eight teams in Guild Wars 2 PvP community are already competing in the first season of the ESL Guild Wars 2 Pro League, but for next season the top two teams in the Guild Challenger League will be able to win promotion to the Pro League by beating the two lowest placed teams in a series of playoffs. First announced back in August, this update will allow anyone to potentially rise from a PvP newcomer to a league-topping professional, with all teams in the ESL Guild Wars 2 Pro League eligible to win a slice of a $200,000 USD prize pool.
Guild Wars 2’s competitive landscape has grown considerably over the past twelve months and this update will ensure that the scene continues to expand for years to come.
Articles You May Enjoy
- Heroes & Generals Surpasses 8 Million Registered Players
- Danish developer and publisher Reto-Moto announced today that Heroes & Generals has just passed 8 million registered players.
- ESL to host US$50,000 Halo: The Master Chief Collection Launch Invitational
- ESL, the world’s largest independent esports brand, is set to host a US$50,000 Halo: The Master Chief Collection competition in their newly ...
- QuakeCon 2015 Official Tournament and QuakeCon Trials Lineup Announced
- QuakeCon brings together some of the greatest players in the world to compete in the Quake Live Tri-Master Tournament sponsored by Intel.