EverQuest to go free-to-play in March
EverQuest Producer, Thom Terrazas, has announced to the EverQuest community that the game will go free-to-play in March.
EverQuest is turning 13 years old in March, and will celebrate its anniversary concurrently with the free-to-play release, greeting new players and returning veterans with special anniversary events. All players will get a new Welcome Pack with special items that include a unique Mercenary, experience potions, Bayle Marks, house decorations, and a Weapon Ornamentation. The game will also redesign its website and improve the map system in-game.
Like EverQuest II, EverQuest will feature a limited selection of races and classes for free players, limits spell tiers, and other content.
EverQuest is published by Sony Online Entertainment.
EverQuest Gameplay Screenshot
/Tell Norrathians INCOMING BUFFS!
Hello everyone – I hope you all are doing well early on in the New Year! With an exciting Veil of Alaris expansion just released in November, we’re thrilled to announce the next big adventure for EverQuest®. After listening to your feedback and suggestions over the past few years, I’m happy to announce that in early March 2012, EverQuest will be going free-to-play.
We’re excited to be expanding the EverQuest experience by making the game more accessible to every type of player so that you can choose to play the game in a way that suits you best. Anyone who wishes to start, return or continue to play one of the “Best Games of All-Time” can simply download and play EverQuest on their terms – think of it as Free to Play, Your Way. Recurring subscriptions, non-recurring subscriptions, Silver or Free memberships, item unlockers, and more. The game will now be setup to be flexible so that *you* can decide how much to pay, based on how much fun you’re having.
EverQuest players are some of the most loyal, long-standing players of any MMO in existence. With the gaming landscape changing every day, we want to ensure we continue to evolve the game to keep players engaged and bring in even more new players to further expand the community. With no up-front costs or required membership, we might see a new player or two along the way, and more people is always a good thing!
Once we go free-to-play, here are some of the upcoming features and events you can expect:
- On Friday, March 16th, EverQuest becomes a teenager: 13 years old!!! We will be having some extra added events in the game starting that week leading up to that Friday and we’re introducing some new items within POK to let you know what’s in store.
- With the free-to-play launch, a renovated everquest.com website will be unveiled and after that, we will bring you upgraded EQPlayers pages.
- We have improved the functionality of our Map system! Some improvements include being able to view appropriate level content for your character on the map, allowing you to find zone lines much easier; and also showing you your wisps on the map to help navigate to where you want to go!
Also at the free-to-play launch, all players will receive a Welcome Pack containing items to add to your gameplay experience. You’ll be able to summon a unique Mercenary to fight by your side and we’re including some Bayle Marks to help pay for the services of your newly summoned Mercenary. A couple of Experience Potions are also included to help you increase your experience gained while adventuring. For all the collectors that like to show off all the great wares to your friends, we’re giving you an item to display in your home and add to your collection. And finally, you’ll be able to customize the appearance of one of your weapons with a Weapon Ornamentation – also included in the Welcome Pack. So be sure to check the claim window for your free gifts.
We, the EverQuest dev team, are very excited about this new flexible system. Free-To-Play is the best fit for EverQuest and we are looking forward to supporting the game and our dedicated fans for years to come. This is a great year for everyone associated with EverQuest and SOE. We think you’ll be pleasantly surprised at what’s coming in 2012.
One last note, we will be doing a Community Webcast on Thursday February 2, 2012 covering all of the exciting free-to-play details. Please be sure to send in any questions you might have via the Facebook page or Twitter so we can respond with answers during the Webcast.
See you in game very soon!
Articles You May Enjoy
- Nether Online now Available Via Steam Early Access
- Survival fans can now test their skill and cunning in an urban environment as Phosphor Games opened early access via Steam to its first-person...
- Zeal Demo Preview: Will You Be A Zealot For Zeal?
- Zeal, as you might have guessed, is PvP focused. That’s not all there is going to be to the game, however.