DC Universe Online celebrates first anniversary
DC Universe Online launched one year ago, and is celebrating its first anniversary with a free gift.
The game has seen over 1.8 million registered users on PC, and over 2.3 million registered on PS3, in the past year. The team has also managed to add over 1,200 NPCs, 200 quests, 2,500 items, and 15 zones since the game launched in January. The game now boasts over 5.5 million characters (3.5 million of which are Heroes). DC Universe Online also launched its eighth update yesterday, adding Research & Development to the game.
In celebration, all characters that have been created by January 11, 2012 and exist on that day will get a mission in their journal to obtain a free One Year Anniversary Cape, featuring a number “1” on the back. These cloaks can be obtained at any time the character logs in, so long as the character meets the creation date requirement.
DC Universe Online is published by Sony Online Entertainment, which also publishes PoxNora and EverQuest II.
DC Universe Online Gameplay Screenshot
DC Universe™ Online Celebrates a Year of Epic Battles
DC Universe Online Marks One-Year Anniversary With Special In-Game Item
SAN DIEGO, Jan. 11, 2012 /PRNewswire/ — Sony Online Entertainment (SOE) today celebrates DC Universe ™ Online’s one-year anniversary. The award-winning, free-to-play, massively multiplayer online (MMO) game launched last January, becoming the first MMO available for the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and the first MMO based in the DC Universe.
“We broke a lot of new ground with last year’s launch of DC Universe Online, both by successfully creating the first PS3™ MMO community and adding true action combat to the genre,” said Lorin Jameson, Executive Director of Development, Sony Online Entertainment. “The free-to-play transition at the end of last year is a proof point that our community is stronger and larger than ever. We are very proud of what we’ve accomplished thus far and look forward to continuously striving to improve the game.”
Since January 2011, DC Universe Online has steadily increased its content with downloadable content (DLC) packs and game updates. Players have gained countless in-game items and have been introduced to Ra’s al Ghul, The Fortress of Solitude, Larfleeze, amongst many other notable DC Universe characters and storylines. Along with this, The Flash and Green Lantern have also joined the team, delivering their electricity and light powers to players through paid DLC packs.
“2011 established a foundation for the larger-than-life stories we can tell in-game, and this milestone will kick off a storyline through free content updates and paid DLC that will blow your minds,” said Jim Lee, executive creative director of DC Universe Online and co-publisher of DC Comics.
Since launch, DCUO has seen:
- More than 3.5 million Heroes, more than 2 million Villains
- More than 1.8 million registered players on PC, and more than 2.3 million registered players on PS3™
- 3.6 million days of playtime total by all players in-game
- More than 1,200 new NPC characters added since launch
- More than 200 new quests added since launch
- More than 2,500 new items added since launch
- More than 15 new zones added since launch
- More than 1,800 new encounters since launch
To celebrate the game’s one-year anniversary, players will receive a special one-of-a-kind One Year Anniversary Cape that features a number “1”on the back. The cape will be granted to players through their mission journal on January 11. The character must exist on the 11th to be eligible to receive the mission. However, players do not need to log in on the 11th; as long as the character exists on the 11th, players will receive the mission the next time they log in.
Articles You May Enjoy
- Lost Saga Strikes Back with Massive Content Update
- Nexon Europe is pleased to announce a fight-tastic new content update for the beloved online brawler, Lost Saga.
- Final Fantasy Brave Exvius Receives Star Ocean: Anamnesis Collaboration
- an-favorite Star Ocean characters Fayt and Rena first appeared in the Japanese version of Final Fantasy Brave Exvius.
- ESPN to host 'Heroes of the Storm' College Tournament
- The ultimate Heroes of the Storm™ collegiate tournament comes to a head this April 26 at the Shrine Auditorium & Expo Hall in Los Angele...