CCP Games Ends World of Darkness MMO Development
CCP Games today announced that they have cancelled the World of Darkness massively multiplayer online (MMO) game project in development in their Atlanta, GA studio.
As a result of the change, 56 employees of the Atlanta studio have lost their jobs. Some team members have been offered roles on other projects inside the company, and CCP has provided severance packages and job placement assistance for those affected.
The remaining team in Atlanta will focus on games in the EVE Universe, which will mark the first time since 2006 that the entirety of CCP will be working on a single universe.
CCP CEO Hilmar Veigar Pétursson stated:
“The decision to end the World of Darkness MMO project is one of the hardest I’ve ever had to make. I have always loved and valued the idea of a sandbox experience set in that universe, and over the years I’ve watched the team passionately strive to make that possible.
I would like to give special thanks to everyone who worked so hard to make the World of Darkness MMO a reality, especially the team members affected by this decision. Their considerable contribution to CCP will not be forgotten, and we wish them well.
To our current and former employees and fans of World of Darkness, I am truly sorry that we could not deliver the experience that we aspired to make. We dreamed of a game that would transport you completely into the sweeping fantasy of World of Darkness, but had to admit that our efforts were falling regretfully short. One day I hope we will make it up to you.
Although this was a tough decision that affects our friends and family, uniting the company behind the EVE Universe will put us in a stronger position moving forward, and we are more committed than ever to solidify EVE as the biggest gaming universe in the world.”
Articles You May Enjoy
- Tree of Savior: New Info on International Test server
- A new update from the Tree of Savior team talks about the use of language pack files that can be updated on the fly while playing the game. Ea...
- Powerful Protectors Summoned For The Lost Titans Open Beta Launch
- ZQGame today announced that its mythology themed browser game, The Lost Titans, is entering its open beta phase.
- Overwatch Beta Coming Soon
- Get ready for battle: Overwatch beta begins Tuesday, October 27 in the Americas region, with other regions to follow!