Team Fortress 2 sees unprecedented growth with free-to-play
A report from Geekwire has looked at a brief talk given by Valve co-founder Gabe Newell on the success of Team Fortress 2 as a free-to-play game during the WTIA TechNW panel.
Newell revealed that Team Fortress 2’s player base has increased by a factor of five since the game went free-to-play, and that Valve believes the term “free to play” increases a game’s value far more than the term “free.” Team Fortress 2 has also seen a 20-30% conversion rate of players who purchase something after joining the free-to-play experience, which is much larger than the expected 2-3% rate.
Team Fortress 2 will also see its “Third Annual Scream Fortress Halloween Update” this coming week.
Team Fortress 2 Gameplay Screenshot
Articles You May Enjoy
- Neverwinter: Underdark Now Available
- Neverwinter: Underdark – the eighth expansion of the action MMORPG is live on PC, with Xbox One to follow in early 2016.
- Edge Case Games Secures $1.3 Million Funding Led by Mercia Technologies
- Edge Case Games will also explore expanding the game's worldwide audience by adapting the game for the growing Asian market.
- Free to Play in Plans for Asheron’s Call
- Turbine announces final plans for Asheron's Call, which includes one last major update, free to play transitions, and player servers.