Guild Wars 2 Begins First PvP League Season
ArenaNet, publisher and developer of the acclaimed Guild Wars 2 and expansion Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns, is proud to announce that the first Guild Wars 2 Player vs Player (PvP) League season has begun, thanks to the delivery of a new update, which allows even the most casual of players to rise to elite-level competitive play.
Starting today, players of all skill levels are invited to play their way through six divisions (Amber to Legendary), winning gold, items, titles, achievements and ranking to display to the game’s entire community.
In order to compete, players form a team of five and enroll in the Guild Challenger League where their team’s performance in ranked PvP matches is tracked and rated. PvP Leagues will allow new and existing guild teams to battle against similarly-skilled players and be placed on a special leaderboard with ELO rating determining who tops the crop and who circles the drain. This rating will degrade over time, so only the most skillful and active guilds will prosper over the course of a 7-week season.
More information about these new systems can be found in the previously published PvP Leagues blogpost from associate director, John Corpening.
The top eight teams in Guild Wars 2 PvP community are already competing in the first season of the ESL Guild Wars 2 Pro League, but for next season the top two teams in the Guild Challenger League will be able to win promotion to the Pro League by beating the two lowest placed teams in a series of playoffs. First announced back in August, this update will allow anyone to potentially rise from a PvP newcomer to a league-topping professional, with all teams in the ESL Guild Wars 2 Pro League eligible to win a slice of a $200,000 USD prize pool.
Guild Wars 2’s competitive landscape has grown considerably over the past twelve months and this update will ensure that the scene continues to expand for years to come.
Articles You May Enjoy
- World of Tanks One Review
- The other stand-out for this release of the game is the updated physics engine. It’s more than simply adding a few effects here and there.
- Cloud Chamber: Story-based MMO launching next week
- Investigate North's story-based MMO, Cloud Chamber, is ready for global launch. Coming out next Thursday 7th August, its innovative mix ...
- Archlord 2: Ranking Page Now Available
- WEBZEN, a global leader in next-generation free-to-play games, announces the reveal of the Archlord 2 ranking page for a brutal, blood-spatter...