Civilization EDU Set to Bring Game to Classrooms
In a surprise move, Take-Two Interactive and 2k Games have signed on with the non-profit learning company, GlassLab Inc, to bring a modified version of Civilization V to students in a more analytical learning environment. The project known as CivilizationEDU is aiming to be introduced into North American classrooms by Fall 2017.
This modified version will include an analytics engine that captures and reports back to teachers on each student’s progress including problem solving aptitude through an online dashboard. Lesson plans will be included with the software including guides to educate the staff on the game subject and how to properly test students prior to implementing the game in classrooms.
“For the past 25 years, we’ve found that one of the fun secrets of Civilization is learning while you play,” added Sid Meier, Founder and Director of Creative Development at Firaxis Games. “We’ve always focused on entertainment first, but we believe that our players – young and old – enjoy learning, even if they don’t always enjoy education. Civilization players find fun in discovering new civilizations, running into famous historical leaders, and charting their own version of human history. Along the way, players learn valuable lessons from their success and failures and are able to try again, employing different choices and strategies. We’re absolutely thrilled to be partnering with GlassLab and I am excited to see CivilizationEDU in classrooms next year.”
CivilizationEDU will be available for download in 2017 from specialized partners Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, SMS Tech Solutions, Edmodo and Learning.com, in addition to other distributors. For more information, please visit www.glasslabgames.org.
Articles You May Enjoy
- My Ten Cents on SMITE
- Tencent Holdings Limited, Asia’s top internet company and the fourth largest gaming company in the world, and Hi-Rez Studios, developer of f...
- Worlds Adrift Sky Island Creation Tool Impressions
- You play as a Skypirate; and come on, who hasn’t secretly fantasized about being a Skypirate?
- Grand Chase's Biggest Content Update Ever; Season 5 Begins Its Rollout
- KOG Games announces the start of Grand Chase Season 5, a series of major updates that includes character separation.