Camelot Unchained Ups Environmental Lighting to Next Gen Levels
After a relatively quiet and snowed in period, CityState Games has burst free of snow blanketed West Virginia to not only reveal that Camelot Unchained will be on display at Magfest, but to showcase some revolutionary lighting techniques that have been in development for quite some time!
By utilizing cube map light probes, Camelot Unchained will essentially be able to quickly dynamically render real-to-life lighting effects by recreating the process of light not only striking and illuminating its first contact point, but then reflecting that light into other objects surrounding it. This is a complex process not easy to explain in words, but more than apparent when shown in action as seen below:
As you can see, the light striking the snow is then reflected into a beautiful mirror portrait of said snow on the metallic armor of the player character. This is being done on a 360 degree scale to all objects in the player’s vision, leading to more realistic lighting in areas that would typically be buried in shadow. For more examples of this technology in action, be sure to check out lead programmer Andrew’s blog on imgur.
Articles You May Enjoy
- Chronicles of Spellborn Will be Free to Play 2010
- Chronicles of Spellborn will be free to play after 2010 due to the game's commercial failure as a pay to play title. The developer went b...
- Allods Online Patch The Fury of War Launches December 16
- On December 16, 2010 the latest patch for Allods Online will go live. This patch, called The Fury of War, will add a ton of new content, bug f...
- Chain Chronicle Review
- Chain Chronicle is the love child of the legendary Sega and Gumi, creator of the popular app, Brave Frontier. With these two noteworthy parent...