Amazon Purchases Twitch for $970 Million
As Reuters reported on Monday, the Internet retailer giant Amazon has purchased streaming site Twitch for $970 million. This occurred after reports that the deal between Google and Twitch had failed. The deal is expected to close by the end of year.
Twitch Chief Executive Officer Emmett Shear was quoted as saying the following regarding the choice of Amazon:
“The reason why we reached out to Amazon, the reason I thought working for Amazon, having Twitch being a part of Amazon, would be a great idea for us (because) they would give us the resources to pursue these things that we honestly already want to pursue and they’d let us do it faster.”
Actual details as to what this will mean for both Twitch users and Amazon consumers are still vague and in discussion, but it’s very possible we’ll see future support for Twitch on Kindle devices and better monetization for Twitch advertising and partner sales in the future.
A thank you letter from Twitch’s CEO can be read here.
Articles You May Enjoy
- Allods Online prepares Game of Gods
- The latest major update, Game of Gods, is hitting Allods Online in North America and Europe.
- Conquer Online Introduces New Force - The Oriental Assassin!
- Conquer Online, an MMORPG featuring fast-paced combat, simple gameplay and oriental fantasy, is ready to unveil a new eastern legend - the Ori...
- PlanetSide 2 Launches Update 08
- PlanetSide 2's Game Update 08 is now live, and Sony Online Entertainment has released a new vehicle that may turn the tides in the Auraxi...