*SITE RELAUNCH: We're moving content over - we're not quite done yet! Issues or questions? Please post in the forums :)
Wizard101 is a unique game where players take on the roll of a child wizard who has just enrolled in Wizard Academy. Its obvious Wizard101 draws its inspiration from the widely popular Harry potter franchise, but it manages to pull it off in style without feeling like a knock off. Anyone who plays this game will immediately notice how much higher the production values are compared to many Asian MMORPGs. Character creation and the tutorial have voice overs and everything from the interface to the terrain look well done. New players chose which magic type to specialize in by answering a series of questions with seven possible outcomes:
Fire - Fire spells tend to deal damage over time so while fire wizard don’t deal a lot of initial damage, their potential builds up the longer a fight lasts. They have the unique ability to stun their enemies.
Ice - Ice wizards have the highest health and defense ratings and many of their spells deal with increasing defense and damage absorption. Their ability to taunt enemies and force them to target the ice wizard makes them invaluable in group battles.
Storm - Focused on dealing heavy damage at the expensive of accuracy. Storm wizards have the lowest health totals but have the ability to remove buffs and debuffs.
Life - The supportive magic branch. Life wizards are the only ones who can heal other players and preform group heals. Their few offensive moves deal low damage but are highly accurate.
Myth - Myth wizards are the summoners of Wizard101. While they posses some offensive abilities, most of their spells deal with buffing and healing their minions who do the grunt work.
Death - A complicated branch of magic, death spells tend to deal lower damage but absorb health and heal the caster. Death wizards can also chain spells to build up powerful combos.
Balance - As the name suggests, Balance wizards are the jack of all trades. They can buff other players and hold their own in battle but lack the expertise to truly shine in any one area.
- Status: Released
- Business Model: Free to Play
- Developer: KingsIsle Entertainment
- Publisher: KingsIsle Entertainment
- Category: Stand-alone
- Genre(s): 3D, MMO, Adventure, RPG, Fantasy, Casual
- Platforms: PC, Mac
- Editor's Score: 3/5
- +Original theme and graphic style.
- +Quest driven gameplay.
- +Unique card battle system.
- +Simple interface.
- -Limited free content, most areas require subscription.
- -Geared towards children, restrictive chat.
- -Slow, turn based combat.
- Recommended System Requirements: (PC)
- OS: Windows XP or newer
- CPU: 1GHz Intel Processor
- RAM: 512MB
- GPU: GeForce 2 or the Equivalent
- HDD: 5 GB
- OS: Mac OS X Snow Leopard (10.6) or newer
- CPU: Intel-based Macintosh system running Mac OS X
- RAM: 512MB
- HDD: 5 GB
Articles You May Enjoy
- Hounds: The Last Hope - TPS Shooter Announced (Europe)
- Netmarble is delighted to announce its first global PC game, Hounds: The Last Hope is coming to Europe on April 2nd.
- Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Crafting Mastery Announced
- A new way for players to grow and progress their max level characters
- Dungeons & Dragons Online Review
- The game has done a wonderful job converting the classic tabletop role playing adventure into a virtual world.