*SITE RELAUNCH: We're moving content over - we're not quite done yet! Issues or questions? Please post in the forums :)
The Secret World is a MMORPG by Funcom renowned for its unusual, intricate universe, its complex advancement system, and its dedicated fan base. You play as a supernatural-imbued human who is part of one of three distinct secret societies dedicated to solving supernatural disasters around the globe. This is a storyline that incorporates urban myths, conspiracy theory, and modern fantasy elements into one RPG-friendly package. Wield one of many powers as you progress through a no-holds barred free-form skill tree; your success depends entirely on your choices and performance.
Lovecraftian storytelling at its best – Horror, mystery and investigation are the key words for The Secret World. This is a story in which the enigmatic and bizarre often creep in, with interesting antagonists, and darkly mysterious locales.
Varieties of exotic locales – From the cold shores of New England, to the arid dunes of Egypt, and all the way to the forests of Transylvania, explore a series of interesting, mysterious, and sometimes odd locations.
Freeform progression – There is very little hand holding here. Pick your skills from among variety of different primary and auxiliary skill trees. There are neither classes nor levels here; your path depends entirely on your choices.
Wide variety of powers – Mix and match as you wish; whether you want to slash through your foe with a mix of swords and chaos magic or gun them down with and pistols and fireballs is entirely up to you.
Three Distinct Factions –
The Templars – The traditional society, crusaders against evil, and descendants of the original Templar order, they wish nothing less than the eradication of darkness.
The Illuminati – Manipulators, spiders and puppeteers, they pull the strings from behind the stage in their eternal quest for power.
The Dragon – Enigmatic sages and warriors, the Dragons use calculated chaos in order to preserve balance between metaphysical forces.
- Status: Released
- Release Date: Jun 19, 2012
- Business Model: Retail
- Developer: Funcom
- Publisher: Funcom
- Category: Stand-alone
- Genre(s): 3D, MMO, Adventure, RPG, Sci-Fi
- Platforms: PC
- Editor's Score: 3/5
- +Enigmatic, enthralling Lovecraftian world.
- +Fully freeform character progression.
- +Unorthodox ARG quest system.
- +Extensive, fully voiced storyline.
- +Unique modern horror setting.
- -Low re-playability.
- -Freeform progression can be utterly unforgiving.
- -Advanced difficulty level.
- Recommended System Requirements:
- OS: Windows XP (SP 1)/Vista (SP 1)/Windows 7 (SP 1)
- CPU: 2.6 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo or equivalent AMD CPU DIRECTX DirectX 9.0c Compatible
- RAM: 2GB RAM for Windows XP / 3GB RAM for Windows Vista and Windows 7
- GPU: nVidia 8800 series 512 VRAM or better/Radeon HD3850 512MB or better
- HDD: 30GB or more free hard disk space
Articles You May Enjoy
- Still Paying for WoW? Top 5 Free MMORPG Alternatives
- We saw the first batch of MMORPG releases back in the late 90s with games like Ultima Online, EverQuest and other complicated high fantasy.
- Warframe Review 2014
- Warframe proves to be a feature packed game that can easily rival any fully priced retail game.
- Linux MMORPGs
- Even though free to play MMORPGs and MMO Games are growing in popularity, there are still very few MMORPGs that are compatible with Linux.