Second Life does not have classes, or any traditional MMORPG mechanics. There are user-created HUD modifications that allow for a kind of combat between player avatars in certain “sims” (regions created for specific groups of individuals, like cities), but this is a far cry from what the average MMO player will be used to. The main draw of Second Life is the enabling of user creativity, avatar customization, and socializing (usually through roleplaying). To that end, here is a list of some of the more interesting locations in Second Life:
The Leaky Cauldron in Wizards Alley: This is one of the better Harry Potter sims, with plenty of roleplaying and great scenery.
SL Globe Theater: For anyone familiar with Shakespeare, this is not to be missed. The SL Globe Theater is a historically-accurate replica of the original Elizabethan Globe Theater, where many of the Bard’s plays were first performed.
Insilico: Inspired by the 1983 Ridley Scott classic Bladerunner, Insilico is the largest and most visually stunning cyberpunk sim in Second Life. It is five individual regions linked together to form a massive, dystopian city. The residents are friendly, if hardcore, cyberpunk roleplayers.
Tombstone: A heavily populated and highly popular western roleplaying sim set in the 1890’s.
The Sistine Chapel: The name is fairly self-explanatory. This is a virtual, accurate recreation of the actual Sistine Chapel.
Other locations include even places of religious worship, and virtual centers staffed by actual paid employees representing large businesses in real-life, and on Second Life.
- Status: Released
- Release Date: Jun 23, 2003
- Business Model: Free to Play
- Developer: Linden Lab
- Publisher: Linden Lab
- Category: Stand-alone
- Genre(s): 3D, MMO, Casual, Virtual Worlds
- Platforms: PC
- +Excellent character customization
- +Enormous game world that continuously evolves
- +Excellent roleplaying platform
- -Areas can take a long time to fully load
- -Client crashes frequently
- -Premium account required to access much of the game
- Recommended System Requirements:
- OS: Windows Vista / 7 / 8.1
- CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz
- RAM: 3 GB
- GPU: Nvidia GeForce 9800, AMD Radeon 4850, or better
Articles You May Enjoy
- Warframe announces New Lotus Voice Packs
- When there's a need, game developers rush to fill it - and today, Warframe is delivering some hot new voice packs for Lotus.
- SkySaga Alpha Impressions
- I had a chance to test the alpha version of SkySaga, to see if this voxel underdog can stand with giants.
- Prodigy: Events, New Characters and 3 days left on Kickstarter Campaign
- With only three more days to go in its Kickstarter campaign for Prodigy, French independent game developer Hanakai Studio now has over 1000 ba...