Second Life does not have classes, or any traditional MMORPG mechanics. There are user-created HUD modifications that allow for a kind of combat between player avatars in certain “sims” (regions created for specific groups of individuals, like cities), but this is a far cry from what the average MMO player will be used to. The main draw of Second Life is the enabling of user creativity, avatar customization, and socializing (usually through roleplaying). To that end, here is a list of some of the more interesting locations in Second Life:
The Leaky Cauldron in Wizards Alley: This is one of the better Harry Potter sims, with plenty of roleplaying and great scenery.
SL Globe Theater: For anyone familiar with Shakespeare, this is not to be missed. The SL Globe Theater is a historically-accurate replica of the original Elizabethan Globe Theater, where many of the Bard’s plays were first performed.
Insilico: Inspired by the 1983 Ridley Scott classic Bladerunner, Insilico is the largest and most visually stunning cyberpunk sim in Second Life. It is five individual regions linked together to form a massive, dystopian city. The residents are friendly, if hardcore, cyberpunk roleplayers.
Tombstone: A heavily populated and highly popular western roleplaying sim set in the 1890’s.
The Sistine Chapel: The name is fairly self-explanatory. This is a virtual, accurate recreation of the actual Sistine Chapel.
Other locations include even places of religious worship, and virtual centers staffed by actual paid employees representing large businesses in real-life, and on Second Life.
- Status: Released
- Business Model: Free to Play
- Developer: Linden Lab
- Publisher: Linden Lab
- Category: Stand-alone
- Genre(s): 3D, MMO, Casual
- Platforms: PC
Editor's Score: 4/5
- +Excellent character customization
- +Enormous game world that continuously evolves
- +Excellent roleplaying platform
- -Areas can take a long time to fully load
- -Client crashes frequently
- -Premium account required to access much of the game
- Recommended System Requirements:
- OS: Windows Vista, 7, 8
- CPU: CPU with SSE2 Support
- RAM: 1GB+
- GPU: GEForce 6600+, ATI Radeon 9500+
Articles You May Enjoy
- Rumble Fighter Review
- Rumble Fighter is a unique 3D 'fighting' MMO by OG Planet. Rumble Fighter plays a lot like 'Super Smash Brothers.'
- ESPN to host 'Heroes of the Storm' College Tournament
- The ultimate Heroes of the Storm™ collegiate tournament comes to a head this April 26 at the Shrine Auditorium & Expo Hall in Los Angele.
- Cards and Castles Announces Spring Time Update
- Bit Mass has announced that Cards and Castles will be getting a new update on Thursday, May 14.