Roblox is an open ended MMO where players create and explore Lego-like worlds. There are no levels or goals in Roblox, instead creativity and socializing are encouraged. The site itself is designed much like MySpace with groups to join and friends to be made. What sets game apart is the fact that all players can create their own ‘place.’ Places can take many forms, they can be games with specific goals such as platformers or just hangouts like clubs or bars. Free player have access to all places created by other members of the community and can even craft their own Place but a premium subscription is required to create more than one place and to access several other features. Creating complex games in Roblox is no simple task, the editor has a steep learning curve and requires players to learn an interesting scripting language called Lua. But for ambitious children with an interest in computers and the internet, Roblox makes an excellent virtual playground.
- Status: Released
- Release Date: Feb 11, 2005
- Business Model: Free to Play
- Developer: Roblox Corporation
- Publisher: Roblox Corporation
- Category: Stand-alone, Browser, Mobile
- Genre(s): 3D, Fantasy
- Platforms: PC, Mac, iOS, Android
Editor's Score: 3/5
- +Unique concept.
- +Open-ended game builder, endless possibilities.
- +Social network style format.
- -Map creator has a steep learning curve.
- -Several features require a subscription ($).
- -Rough visuals.
- Recommended System Requirements:
- OS: Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1
- CPU: A recent processor (2005+) with a clock speed of 1.6 Ghz or better
- RAM: 1 GB
- GPU: DirectX 9 minimum and Shader Model 2.0.
- HDD: 20 Mb
Articles You May Enjoy
- Unlimited Ninja: 15 servers to be merged into one
- Ray Media had arranged to finish the server consolidation two weeks ago. After that, 15 servers have been merged into one server. Parts of pla...
- PlanetSide 2: Players Earning Thousands with Player Studio
- Sony Online Entertainment looks at how Player Studio is succeeding for PlanetSide 2.