League of Legends
League of Legends was one of the first stand-alone commercial ‘Aeon of Strife’ / ‘Defense of the Ancients’ – style multiplayer games to be released. Designed as a successor to the popular DotA player-created map, the core gameplay features two teams battling against each other on linear maps in ’rounds’. League of Legends is largely a team-oriented game, so try to get along with teammates, as the game is much more enjoyable when a team mates have good synergy.
The game features over 100 champions in six major roles: Assassin, Fighter, Mage, Support, Tank, and Marksman. All champions can be purchased for permanent use; however, each week a rotating set of champions is made available for free use. Meanwhile players are known as ‘Summoners,’ and each Summoner gains permanent progression which unlocks bonuses including spells, runes, and masteries.
There are four available maps in two game modes. Classic game mode, using the maps Summoner’s Rift, Twisted Treeline, and Howling Abyss, requires you to destroy the enemy’s nexus while defending your own. Dominion, taking place on the Crystal Scar, requires players to hold the majority of capture points on the map in order to damage the enemy nexus.
- Status: Released
- Release Date: Oct 27, 2009
- Business Model: Free to Play
- Developer: Riot Games
- Publisher: Riot Games
- Category: Stand-alone
- Genre(s): 3D, MOBA, Fantasy
- Platforms: PC, Mac
Editor's Score: 4/5
- +Many playable heroes (100+).
- +Multiple game modes.
- +Enjoyable at all skill levels.
- -Toxic Community that may deter new players.
- -Microtransactions needed to acquire a decent roster of champions in any timely manner.
- Recommended System Requirements:
- OS: Windows XP / Vista / 7 / 8 / Mac OSX
- CPU: Pentium 4 @ 3.0 GHz
- RAM: 1024 MB (1GB)
- GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 or higher
- HDD: 8GB Free
Articles You May Enjoy
- Arctic Combat Expands into South America
- Webzen has announced the opening of the new South American server for their multiplayer online tactical FPS Arctic Combat.
- Star Trek Online: Bonus Episode Coming Soon
- On Nov.13, Cryptic will be releasing the epilogue episode, titled “What’s Left Behind,” for Star Trek Online: Delta Rising. The episode ...
- Sevencore Announces Closed Beta
- Registration for the Sevencore closed beta test is now available on gPotato's website.